Sunday, May 7, 2017

Chemo Day 1


Over 8 hours at the clinic, at least 7 bags of liquid, 3 lovely friends that came to visit, 2 awesome nurses and no side effects!  That just about sums up my first round of chemo.
I arrived at the clinic at 8 and they started me with a bag of steroids and two bags of benadryl.  I needed to let the nurses know if I started to feel weird.  I assumed they meant from the chemo (and they did) but I started to feel a little weird after the benadryl.  Turns out 2 bags of benadryl makes you feel like you've had 3 or 4 Jack and Coke's in a short amount to time :-)
Once I had those liquids in me, they started the chemo drugs.  The first time, they give the drugs slowly and then you have to wait an hour before they start another to make sure you don't have any allergic reactions.  I am getting 4 chemo drugs this time around.  For those of you that are interested, I am getting Herceptin, Perjeta, Taxotere, and Carboplatin. I'm sure that means nothing to most of you as it would have to me 2 months ago, but I also know I have a friend or two who will look them up out of curiosity (Aaron, if you're reading this I'm talking about you 😊)
I thought I would have time to read and watch a movie, maybe journal some, start this blog....turns out I talked with friends and slept.  Thanks to Meagan, Melissa, and Shari for coming to visit me!
Thankfully at the end of the day, my body had no adverse reactions to the drug and the biggest issue I had all day was the number of times I had to get up to go to the bathroom.  Turns out putting 7 bags of liquid and needing to constantly drink water makes one have to pee!

3 comments: